What is Canada inland spousal sponsorship: Permanent residents of Canada have the option of sponsoring their spouse or their loved one. The same is achieved through the inland sponsorship program of Canada.
The great thing about the Canada inland spousal sponsorship program is that the spouse or the partner of the Canadian resident shall have an open work permit (OWP). Thus the partner has the facility of working full time during the processing of their spouse’s visa for Canada. This reduces the economic burden on the couple and makes the lengthy application process relatively bearable.
What is the Canada inland spousal sponsorship?
If you are a permanent Canadian resident, then you can sponsor either your spouse or partner who wants to reside with you in Canada. To be eligible for the Canada inland spousal sponsorship, the foreign spouse or partner must have a temporary valid status as either a worker, student or visitor.
There are several criteria for being eligible for this sponsorship program as enumerated below:
- Both the sponsor and the sponsored individual must be at least 18 years of age;
- Secondly, the relationship between the sponsor and the sponsored person must belong to one of the following types:
- Spouse: this means that you must be legally married as per Canadian law
- Common law: you shall fall in this category if you have been cohabiting with your partner for at least 12 consecutive months in a marriage-like relationship
- Neither partner should be bankrupt, wanted for a serious offence or in prison.
It is to be noted that mere eligibility for inland spousal sponsorship does not guarantee that you shall receive permanent residency in Canada. The foreign national who applies for the same must be approved by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada).
How to apply for Canada inland spousal sponsorship?
Candidates need to follow the steps below to apply for the Canada inland spousal sponsorship:
- An all-inclusive application package can be found on the Canadian government website. It includes instructions forms and a guide that shall help you complete the application process easier.
- Secondly, you need to pay the requisite application fees such as biometric fees, permanent residence fees and fees for the application process.
- Thirdly, meticulously fill up the entire form and put your signature in the designated spaces.
- The guide that was provided in the application package shall help you with the address of the correct visa office where you need to send your application.
- Lastly, as the application is being processed, government officials may ask you to submit additional supporting documents from time to time.
Latest articles about Immigration
- How to apply for a Spousal open work permit in Canada?
- What is a Canada Spousal open work permit & its advantages?
- What is Canada outland spousal sponsorship?- Angad Immigration
Processing time of inland application
The processing time for Canada inland spousal sponsorship was pretty high in the past. However, the turnaround time has considerably reduced recently and presently takes approximately 12 months.
Moreover, the inland sponsorship program is a boon to Canadian residents who have foreign partners. It is generally presumed that the partner shall stay in Canada with the permanent resident during the processing of the application. However, if the spouse or partner needs to travel outside the country while the application is being processed then he or she should apply for an outland sponsorship program.
Angad Immigration helps you get the best lawyers for immigration in Canada and Edmonton.
If you are in need of a licensed Immigration Consultant to streamline your path to Canada and to represent your application- Click HERE to schedule an appointment with us.
We hope this article about What is Canada inland spousal sponsorship – how to apply for it? was helpful to you. If you have any queries/questions related to the Canadian immigration programs, please schedule an appointment with us.
You’ll get the finest support and guidance from our best lawyers in Angad Immigration, who will make sure your profile gets validated as per the suitable immigration programs.