What is Self employed Immigration Program and how to qualify?: What is Self employed Immigration Program and how to qualify?A person engaged in their own business or self-employed in cultural or athletic activities and wishes to apply for a Canadian Permanent Resident (PR) Visa may do so under the Self-employed Immigration Program category. The self-employed Immigration Program is the best choice for artists, painters, musicians, designers, actors, filmmakers, screenwriters, and many more. Entry into this stream is easier, therefore Canadian government welcomes and encourages these visa applications are useful.
Self-Employed Immigration Program Qualification
Self-Employed Immigration Program does not apply to everyone. Relevant experience before the application date is required for self-employed immigrants. Specifically, for at least 2 of the 5 years preceding the application. Given below are some of the criteria to apply for this stream :
- The applicant should have worked on her own in cultural or sports activities; either
- Has significant participation in cultural or athletic activities globally.
- The applicant can have 2 years of self-employment experience, 2 years of World Class participation, or a combination of 1 year and 1 year of World Class participation.
In addition, self-employed immigrant applicants must have the necessary experience, ability, and intent to set up a business. The said business must pass the following criteria :
- Create employment opportunities for themselves, and
- Make a significant contribution to Canadian society in cultural or athletic pursuits.
- The applicant will get more marks if you have 3 to 5 years of experience.
Note: No immigration conditions are imposed on this particular category.
Immigration-related news for 2023 :
- Federal Skilled Worker Program vs Provincial Skilled Worker Programs
- Eligibility criteria for (BOWP) Bridging Open Work Permit
- 6 types of (IMP) International Mobility Program 2023 streams
Selection criteria for Self-employed Immigration Program
If you have met the applicant’s “self-employed class” definition, you are eligible for the next round of testing. This involves being assessed against so-called “selection criteria”.
The selection criteria include 5 selection factors, which are as follows:
Selection Factor 1: Professional Experience
The person needs to have at least 2 years of professional experience before the application date. The more years of experience you have, the more points are assigned.
Selection Factor 2: Age
There are also several marks granted to an applicant based on their current age on the date of application.
Selection Factor 3: Education
One must meet the criteria for academic credentials and the years spent in full-time or full-time equivalent study.
- Certificate of Education” means any diploma, degree, trade, or certificate of apprenticeship issued upon completion of a particular program of study or training at any recognized institution.
- The full-time study” means that you had at least 15 hours of instruction per week during an academic year. This includes time spent in the workplace or on-the-job training that is part of a course or curriculum.
- Full-time equivalent study” applies when you have completed a part-time or accelerated program of study. This requires you to calculate the approximate time it will take you to complete the program of study full-time.
If you completed a part-time or accelerated program of study, estimate the time it would take you to complete it full-time.
Note: If you have not already counted the number of years you spent on your highest educational certificate, you can base your scores on the actual number of years you spent on your studies.
Selection factor 4: official language in Canada (English or French)
The candidate must speak either English or French. One should be fluent in one of these official languages. It can help the applicant to find a function and adapt to the Canadian job market.
In this program, a maximum of 24 points will be awarded based on proficiency in English or French: Basic, Intermediate, or Advanced.
Selection Factor 5: Adaptability
You can receive additional points based on your spouse’s education level, prior work or education in Canada, or even if you or your spouse/partner have relatives in Canada.
Selection criteria, requirements, and other information for the applicants listed above are subject to change from time to time. It is important to remember that applications are being processed under the rules and regulations in effect at the time of application.
Angad Immigration helps you get the best lawyers for immigration in Canada and Edmonton.
If you are in need of a licensed Immigration Consultant to streamline your path to Canada and to represent your application- Click HERE to schedule an appointment with us.
We hope this article about the Self-employed Immigration Program was helpful to you. If you have any queries/questions related to the Canadian immigration programs, please schedule an appointment with us.
You’ll get the finest support and guidance from our best lawyers in Angad Immigration, who will ensure your profile is validated as per the suitable immigration programs.