How to apply for the Spouse Open Work Permit Canada (SOWP)? A spouse-open work permit in Canada is for common-law partners of international students in Canada by which your spouse can work full-time while studying in Canada with the help of a work permit.
The application procedure for a “spouse open work permit” differs from the permanent residency stage of a candidate and their status in Canada. Foreign nationals in Canada can not engage in any kind of employment without the appropriate authorization.
It is unlawful in Canada if you start working without a proper work permit and it even puts your future immigration process at risk.
Now let us know how to apply for a spousal open work permit and the documents required for the spouse open work permit Canada.
Apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit
Step to apply for a Spouse Open Work Permit outside Canada
You need to follow the steps given below to apply for the spouse open work permit outside Canada successfully:
- Check your eligibility for the spouse open work permit on the IRCC website;
- After completing your questionnaire note down the personal reference code;
- The third step is to log in to your MyCIC online profile. You can register a “GC Key” account if you don’t already have a MyCIC online profile. Along with that also add your Universal Client ID mentioned on your study permit;
- Fill out all the fields of your application form;
- Save the form after completing it and upload the pdf form to your application
- Fill NA in the job application field as it is not required for a spouse open work permit and ;
- Leave the LMIA column blank as there is no requirement for a spouse work permit.
- The sixth step is to attach the IMM5710 file to your application, and make sure to include all the marked/stamped pages of your passport and create only one PDF file for all the pages and upload your passport scan when asked;
- Pay the fees which is CAD 255 along with the spouse’s open work permit application;
- Wait to receive a notification for your application for a spouse open work permit.
Applying for a Spouse Open Work Permit in Canada
- Check your eligibility for a spouse open work permit on the IRCC website;
- Note down the personal reference code mentioned at the end of the questionnaire;
- The third step is to log in to your online profile (MyCIC) and note down the UCI;
- Fill out the PDF application form completely;
- Save the PDF file and upload it to your application;
- You may leave the LMIA and job application section blank as you don’t have to have any of it for a spouse open work permit;
- The seventh step is to upload your IMM5710 form to your application;
- Lastly, pay the total fees of CAD 255.
- After completing the above process wait for the notice from IRCC.
Latest articles about Immigration
- Canada Spousal open work permit eligibility and application process
- What is a Canada Spousal open work permit & its advantages?
- What is Canada Work Permit? How to Get Canada Work Permit?
- When is Parents Sponsorship Canada 2022 expected to open?
Documents required for a spouse open work permit Canada are as follows:
- You need to have a student permit copy;
- Candidates need to have a study program letter of enrollment;
- You should have a copy of your marriage certificate;
- Candidates must show proof of enough available funds;
- A copy of your spouse’s passport containing all the pages with stamps, visas, and other notes.
Processing time of a spouse open work permit
According to the CIC website, the processing time for a spouse open work permit application is around 4 to 5 months.
Note: Your spouse needs to maintain legal status in Canada be it a visitor, worker, or student until he/she gets the final decision to start the work.
Angad Immigration helps you get the best lawyers for immigration in Canada and Edmonton.
If you are in need of a licensed Immigration Consultant to streamline your path to Canada and to represent your application- Click HERE to schedule an appointment with us.
We hope this article about How to apply for the Spouse Open Work Permit Canada (SOWP)? was helpful to you. If you have any queries/questions related to the Canadian immigration programs, please schedule an appointment with us.
You’ll get the finest support and guidance from our best lawyers in Angad Immigration and they will make sure your profile gets validated as per the suitable immigration programs.