What is Canada’s Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP)? Canada allows its citizens and permanent residents to sponsor their parents and grandparents through the (PGP) Parent and Grandparent Program. The country facilitates its family class immigrants to live with their parents and grandparent after fulfilling all the requirements.
If IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) approves your application, your parents can immigrate to Canada and become permanent residents depending on their will. Along with being permanent residents, PGP candidates also receive all the benefits of Canadian immigration.
IRCC usually releases the PGP application information in the month of January each year, but due to the rise in a pandemic, it stretched the release of information to September. It has also reduced the income requirement for the 2020 tax year.
IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) has opened doors for 25,000 Parents and Grandparents Program (PGP) candidates for the year 2022. Immigrants under the PGP category will rise to 28,500 in 2023, and in 2024 these numbers will increase to 32,000. Find out Are you a Canadian citizen if your parent is born in Canada?
Apply for the Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP)
If you want to apply for the PGP program you should submit your interest to sponsor your parents and if your request is approved by IRCC you need to follow the necessary steps and complete the process which is given below:
- First, you and your parents must apply for the PGP (Parent and Grandparent Immigration Program) on the IRCC portal;
- If your request is approved by IRCC, you will receive an invitation;
- After you receive an invitation, start filling out the application form online;
- You need to print the form and sign it by hand;
- Send an electronic form to the PGP candidate, and they will sign it and upload it to their application;
- The person you are sponsoring needs to fill out the following forms:
- Generic Application Form of Canada;
- Additional Family Information form;
- Schedule A – Background/ Declaration form;
- Supplementary Information form;
- Pay the required application fees which include processing fees, the Right of Permanent Residence Fee, medical fee, and biometrics fee;
- After filling all the requirements, submit your application fees along with the fee receipt;
- At last, you will receive an e-mail to link your application by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada);
- Meanwhile, you should inform IRCC of any changes in your situation like your marital status, and the birth of a child. Check our latest article to know the eligibility and income requirement of PGP candidates and more.
Remember, don’t start filling out your form before you get an invitation from IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada) to apply for the process. IRCC will reject your application, if you are not invited but still chose to fill out the form. It will also not refund your application fee for PGP (Parent and Grandparent Program).
Latest articles about Immigration
- Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP) Fee
- Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP ) Eligibility Criteria
- Alberta Advantage Immigration Program (AAIP ) Different streams
- Canada’s Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP) Eligibility Criteria
How long does it take to sponsor my parents to Canada?
In the reports of IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada), the department takes 20 months to 2 years to process an application for PGP (Parent and Grandparent Program) candidates.
Angad Immigration delivers you the best immigration lawyers in Edmonton and Canada.
Schedule an appointment with us HERE if you need a licensed ICCRC Immigration Consultant to represent your application and streamline your path to Canada
We hope that you found this article What is Canada’s Parent and Grandparent Program (PGP)? about informational. If in case you have questions/queries related to any immigration program to Canada, please schedule an appointment with us. Our best immigration lawyers from Angad Immigration Canada will validate the profile as per the Immigration Program which is best suitable for you.